1. Cook wild rice for 45 minutes to an hour, according to package directions. Set aside when ready — it should be chewy but tender.
2. Coat the bottom of a Dutch oven or large pot with olive oil, then sauté onion, carrot and garlic for 3 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cook on medium to high heat for 10 minutes. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Combine milk and flour in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Add the milk mixture to the soup and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until it melts.
6. Add wild rice, chicken, salt and pepper; mix well. Enjoy!