They say chicken soup is good for the soul, but this hearty recipe is also good for your teeth thanks to the calcium provided by the milk and cheese.
1 cup uncooked wild rice
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
2 minced garlic cloves
3 cups chicken broth
1 ½ cups potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 cups milk
⅓ cup all-purpose flour
10 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
¼ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
1. Cook rice according to package directions.
2. Coat the bottom of a Dutch oven or large pot with olive oil, then sauté onion, carrot and garlic for 3 minutes over medium heat.
3. Add broth and potatoes and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Combine milk and flour in a bowl and whisk until well combined. Add the milk mixture to the soup and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thick, stirring constantly.
5. Remove from heat and add cheese, stirring until it melts.
6. Then add rice, chicken, salt and pepper and mix well. Enjoy!