This simple recipe turns sweet potatoes into a quick, tasty meal. They’re spiced just right to give them a savory kick.
Sweet potatoes are full of flavor and nutrients, including many that are great for your smile. The high amounts of vitamins A and C found in sweet potatoes are particularly helpful in maintaining good gum health.
4 sweet potatoes
2 teaspoons olive oil
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon dried oregano
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon granulated garlic
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
15 ounces black beans, rinsed
⅓ cup red enchilada sauce
¼ cup shredded white cheddar cheese
1 small red onion, sliced
1 jalapeño, sliced
Toppings of your choice
1. Wet some paper towels and place on a plate large enough to hold sweet potatoes.
2. Pierce potatoes with a fork and place on wet paper towels. Microwave on high for 10 minutes, turning after 5 minutes.
3. While potatoes cook, heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté garlic for 3 minutes.
4. In a small bowl, combine cumin, chili powder, oregano, salt, garlic and black pepper together.
5. Toss chicken with half the spice mixture in a small bowl.
6. Combine chicken and half of spices in a small bowl.
7. Add chicken to skillet and cook until done. Reduce heat to medium.
8. Add beans, enchilada sauce and remaining spice mixture to skillet. Cook until mixture is heated through, about 3 minutes.
9. Split potatoes lengthwise and fluff with a fork. Divide the mixture evenly over the potatoes. Top each potato with cheese, red onion and jalapeños.
10. Add your favorite toppings such as sour cream or guacamole to your potato.